Sunday, June 5, 2011

Japanese Word of the Day #3

       Todays word of the day is otanjoubi (お誕生日)or just tanjoubi. Does anyone want to take a shot as to why...? Before you guys all shout out the answer (because clearly you know what otanjoubi means), I'll give you one hint. It starts with mybirthday and ends with isjuneseventh. Okay, otanjoubi doesn't actually mean all of that, but it does mean birthday, and mine happens to be on June seventh.
       So maybe you didn't know what otanjoubi meant but I'm sure you'll guess what oriental cuisine I fancy for my otanjoubi dinner. Now for those of you that are saying 誕生日プレゼント忘れちゃった!しまった!(because obviously you say this all the time) it is totally cool that you forgot a present because you can easily give me a money contribution present with the chip-in button on the right. I think I'd rather go to Japan for eleven months than get some strange rainbow knit toe socks redolent of cat litter and box wine anyway. I know most teenagers are dying to get things of that nature but please, don't, please?
       I know some people/religions recognize each otanjoubi as some sort of milestone where you have become significantly more mature. I'm sure that when I was younger I found an excuse for every birthday to be special too. Entering double digits, becoming a teenager etc. To my chagrin, similar to that of an elderly man who doesn't acknowledge his own otanjoubi, my otanjoubi has become frivolous. Just another day, another number, another cross on the calender, one day less till departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment