Sunday, May 15, 2011

Japanese word of the day #1

While embarking on my journey to learn Japanese I am always coming across new words and I thought I would share them with you. Today's Japanese word of the day is Namari(訛り). Namari means accent. I am trying very hard to work on my namari, but as you can tell from my video it still has a long ways to go. I have heard from many people who have set out to learn a new language that the best way to lose your namari is to live in the place where that language is spoken. I'm hoping to test that theory out!
Today I ate Takoyaki (Japanese octopus fritters) and Karre (Japanese curry). When I ordered these dishes in Japanese the woman didn't understand me at first. Besides the immediate shock of seeing a white boy with blonde hair speaking Japanese throwing her off, I realized that she did not understand me because of my Japanese, but because of my namari.

NAMARI = ACCENT

--The Japanese Hakujin, Zachary Shimmel

No comments:

Post a Comment