Thursday, May 19, 2011

Japanese Word of the Day #2

Today's Japanese word is Kin'yobi (金曜日). Kin'yobi in Japanese literally means golden day, and a golden day it certainly is. My school does have 4,000 students but not one Japanese person. So by the time 2:47 rolls around on Friday I hop from my chair with alacrity and ride the first train to Manhattan to see friends to practice my Japanese with. Friday is truly golden.
Days come and disappear in a haze. I feel like every day is just one less I have to wait for before I am on that plane to Japan. I think I have less then 7,000 more hours to go. Until then I just have to sit and wait for time to tick by before I can sit in an uncomfortable leather seat for 14 hours with feelings of pure sanguine and accomplishment. Sometimes I wish school was 7 days a week so I could just be done with it and move on. Waking up early to ride the train to the middle of nowhere, seeing herds of students with hormone levels to match the the amount of calories in their daily Big Gulp from 711, and going home feeling phlegmatic and irritated and filled with ennui.
Kin'yobi is a golden day. Now please hurry up and get here!

--The Japanese Hakujin, Zachary Shimmel

No comments:

Post a Comment