Monday, May 9, 2011

Learning Japanese

       Learning Japanese takes serious dedication. If your thinking about learning Japanese, just know it is ridiculously difficult. I do take Japanese lessons, but this is pretty limited because it is only twice a month so I have found many other cheaper ways to assist my learning. I have a plethora of books to help me learn but I mostly stick to the ancient method of flashcards. Flashcards are only for my on the go study like on the train, waiting in a line, walking around ect.. But when I am at home with a computer available I think the best resource is Japanese television. Some of my favorite shows are Naruto, Azumanga Daioh, Bleach, Boss, Puni Puni Poemi, GTO, Liar Games, My Boss My Hero, and One Liter of Tears.
       These resources I have a pretty great but ultimately the best way is to speak Japanese, and hear it be spoken. I practice Japanese at some authentic stores in the city, and have a lot of Japanese camp friends I keep in touch with. I had the amazing opportunity to attend a Japanese camp twice in Frost Valley NY. This camp was really fun, and a great way to practice my Japanese. It is a sleep away camp, and to give you a quick demographic, I was the only hakujin. The name is Tokyo Frost Valley YMCA so look it up!
       I am hoping to become completely fluent in Japanese, and to be able to read, write, and converse well in Japanese I need to be immersed. To help sponsor my study abroad trip click on the chip-in button to the right. Thank you so much for reading this! Good luck with your studies!


--The Japanese Hakujin, Zachary Shimmel

No comments:

Post a Comment